Scientific Triathlon coaches James Teagle, Lachlan Kerin and Mikael Eriksson get together to discuss fatigue. How much fatigue is acceptable to experience in triathlon training, how can you manage fatigue, and how do you adjust training and other factors if you end up carrying too much fatigue?
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
- Acute versus accumulated fatigue and how they should be treated differently
- Different kinds of fatigue: peripheral (muscular), central (nervous system), mental, and general
- Managing fatigue through training: repeatable training weeks vs. two weeks hard, one week easy
- Assessing fatigue with objective and subjective measures (perceived fatigue, motivation, RPE, performance, heart rate, HRV, etc.)
- When and how should you adjust training (or lifestyle factors) for fatigue? How do you know when enough is enough?