The 8-step framework for effective triathlon training | EP#2
Want to maximize your bang for training buck? In this episode, I'll teach you an 8-step framework that will be your blueprint for effective triathlon training.
In this Episode you'll learn about:
- High-value vs. low-value workouts
- How to structure your training week
- Essential ancillary training
- How to dominate with nutrition
- The dos and don'ts of recovery
- Time management for busy age-groupers
- The tools to use and gadgets to ditch
Distinction between high- and low-value workout
- Why you should maximize high-value workouts and minimize low-value workouts?
- What is a high-value workout?
- What is a low-value workout?
- Common mistakes with high- and low-value workouts.
- Principle of specificity
- Principle of reversibility
- Principle of progressive overload
Structuring your training week properly
- Should you structure your training in weekly cycles?
- Spread out your workouts in each discipline across the weekly cycle.
- Spread out harder and easier days across the weekly cycle.
- Strength and conditioning
- Weight training
- Plyometrics, stretching and yoga
- Mental training
- Forget the word diet. Eat high quality food, avoid low-quality food.
- Post-workout recovery nutrition.
- Spread out protein intake across meals.
- Have a healthy balance of all three macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein).
- Recommended reading: Matt Fitzgerald’s book "The Endurance Diet"
Forget the word "diet"
- Workouts don’t make you stronger, recovering from workouts do.
- Get enough sleep. If needed (or if possible), have an afternoon nap.
- Include rest days in your training.
- Train smart, vary the intensity of workouts.
- Ancillary recovery techniques
- Measuring recovery
- Make recovery a priority
Workouts don’t make you stronger, recovering from workouts do.
- Schedule everything, use a calendar
- Periodize effectively
- Get a coach
- Use indoor training
- Batch cook your meals if possible
- Something is better nothing!
- Consistency is king!
Consistency is King!
- Consider investing in a multi-sport watch and heart rate monitor
- Indoor trainers
- Invest in coaching
- Invest in gear that makes triathlon fun
- Training Peaks software
Links and resources
- Check out the Effective Triathlon Training Blueprint video series.
- Check out this article for more in-depth information on structuring your training.
- Get access to the Scientific Triathlon core training program (it's free).
- Check out the "Nutrition for Triathletes" ebook.
- Check out the ebook with my top-recommended tools and resources for triathletes.
Subscribe to That Triathlon Show and never miss an episode!
MORE ON THAT TRIATHLON SHOW
- Go to the That Triathlon Show main page
- Go to the full Episode Archives
- Check out these popular episodes:
Enter your text here...
Enter your text here...
[…] Read More here|Read More|Find More Informations here|There you will find 52756 additional Informations|Informations on that Topic: scientifictriathlon.com/tts2/ […]