How to get started in triathlon with Wendy Mader | EP#4
Are you a beginner triathlete, or maybe you haven't even started your triathlon journey yet? Learn how to get started and how to avoid common triathlon mistakes from coach Wendy Mader, former Ironman age-group world champion, with 25 years of triathlon experience.
In this Episode you'll learn about:
- The essential things you need to know when starting out in triathlon.
- The mistakes you must avoid at all costs.
- How to structure you're swim, bike, and run training as a beginner triathlete.
- How to prepare for your first race.
Things to consider for beginner triathletes getting into the sport
- How to enjoy triathlon as a lifestyle.
- How to find your motivation in triathlon.
- How to make your training plan fit your lifestyle, and not fit your life into a training plan.
Moving up as a swimmer from beginner to advanced in triathlon
- How to start swimming as part of triathlon training.
- How to practice proper swimming technique.
- How to simplify swimming routines for effective results.
- How to engage the right muscles to improve your swimming.
- How to set your timelines
Going from zero to hero on the bike
- How to start learning proper cycling techniques and drills.
- How to build strength and endurance.
- How much training to do on the bike.
- How to balance your technique and endurance training in cycling.
Improving your run from scratch
- How to educate yourself about running form and technique.
- How to balance technique and endurance training in running.
Preparing for your first race as a beginner triathlete
- General race preparation tips for beginner triathletes.
- How much time should you spend preparing for your first race?
- How to choose which race distance to start with.
Rapid fire questions
- What's your favorite book, blog or resource related to triathlon?
- What's your favorite piece of gear or equipment?
- What's a personal habit that contributes to your success?
- What's your favorite workout?
- What do you wish you would you have done differently at some earlier point in your career?
Links and resources
- Visit Wendy's website
- Follow her on Instagram (@t2coachwendy), Twitter (@t2coachwendy), and Facebook
- Check out the Endurance Hour podcast
- Wendy's recommended book: Joe Friel’s The Triathlete's Training Bible