Sebastian Weber is a sports scientist and highly successful coach, in both professional sports (having worked with athletes like Peter Sagan, Tony Martin, and André Greipek) and with age-group endurance athletes. He is also the co-founder of the physiological performance software INSCYD. One of the important factors for his success is his knowledge about exercise physiology and metabolism. Today, he shares this knowledge with us so that you too can benefit from it and become a faster triathlete.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL LEARN ABOUT:
- What is FTP (Functional Threshold Power), why does it even exist, and how can you train to improve it?
- The only two variables that can be changed to improve FTP: VO2max (Aerobic Capacity) and VLaMax (glycolytic capacity).
- Why you need to focus on changing VO2max and/or VLaMax, and NOT FTP itself, if you want to improve your FTP.
- How to train to increase VO2max to increase FTP.
- How to train to decrease VLaMax to increase FTP.
- How VO2max and VLaMax determine your fat and carb oxidation at any intensity (including submaximal intensities)